Thursday, December 9, 2021

Reading is a Superpower

Before elementary school, my mother would bring my sister and me to our local public library for storytime.  It was a special time, for sure.  When we went off to school, we had THE best librarian.  I still remember the enthusiasm she had when reading aloud.  I remember what the space looked like (at both libraries).  I still remember the names of both of those librarians and am grateful for the magic they shared with us through books.

Now, as a youth services librarian, I use some of that inspiration to bring the same magic to my own storytimes.

While I am not in my Super Reader costume everyday, I'd like to spread the message that reading is a superpower.  For our babies and toddlers who are not able to read yet, they soon will learn.  Until then, we can help them use their listening ears and looking eyes to enjoy many books.



 

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I love all of your suggestions as when my daughter was little, the library, its activities and books played a large part in enriching our lives. Question: I have a young 8 year old young man who is struggling a bit with reading and I want to get him books to read aloud that he may like. I know some of the ones you have mentioned here in this article, but am looking for suggestions of other titles. Thanks. Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita,

    Thank you for your question! I'm not sure how much he is struggling, so I will give you a mix of suggestions.

    Young/Beginning Reader Books: We have a whole aisle of these in the library. You will find the "I Can Read" books here and there are many to choose from. It would be helpful for him to choose topics he enjoys. There are a variety of reading levels in this area, ranging from short sentences with familiar words and simple concepts to longer sentences, challenging vocabulary, complex plots, and short paragraphs.


    Early Chapter Books:

    Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
    Mighty Robot by Dav Pilkey
    Magic Treehouse by Mary Pope Osbourne
    My Weird School by Dan Gutman
    Ranger in Time by Kate Messner
    The Chicken Squad by Doreen Cronin
    Charlie and Mouse by Laurel Snyder
    Ellray Jakes by Sally Warner
    Stink by Megan McDonald
    Frog and Toad are Friends by Arnold Lobel
    Zach and Zoe Mysteries by Mike Lupica
    A to Z Mysteries by Ron Roy
    My Father’s Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
    Nate the Great by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat
    Stuart Little by E.B. White
    Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown

    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Fifteen Favorites #3

A Bear, A Bee, and a Honey Tree by Daniel Bernstrom Desert Jungle by Jeannie Baker How to Count to One by Caspar Salmon I Absolutely, Pos...